Mary’s Raisin Soda Bread
Catherine’s Farmhouse Kitchen: Quarantine Edition
Mary's Raisin Soda Bread
Servings 1 loaf
- 1 ¾ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ⅔ cups raisins soaked in sweetened Irish breakfast tea
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- Sieve the dry ingredients into a large bowl and rub in the butter.
- Drain the raisins from the tea and add to the flour mix.
- Pour in the egg and buttermilk mixture and stir gently.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead lightly for a minute or two.
- Shape into a round and flatten slightly to about 2 inches.
- Place on a floured baking sheet. Mark with a deep cross and bake in the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.