Orange and Cinnamon Christmas Cookies
Holiday Recipes from Catherine’s Farmhouse Kitchen
Servings: 18 to 20 servings
Author: Chef Catherine Fulvio
For the biscuits/cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick chilled butter
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- ½ orange, zest only
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 to 3 tbsp cold water or orange juice
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tbsp water
- extra flour, for dusting when rolling
- star cutter(s)
- sprinkles, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- To make the star biscuits/cookies, line 2 baking trays with parchment.
- Place the plain flour into a bowl. Dice the butter and add to the flour in the bowl, using your fingertips rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, orange zest, vanilla, and ground cinnamon.
- Stir in enough orange juice or cold water to form a dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and roll out thinly with a rolling pin.
- Cut out stars with a large cutter and place them onto the lined baking trays and bake for 14 to 16 minutes depending on the size or until golden and cooked.
- Leave them to cool for 15 minutes before moving them onto a cooling rack.
- To decorate, place the powdered sugar in a bowl and add just enough water to make a thick paste.
- Spoon this into a piping bag fitted with a fine nozzle and decorate the stars with it. Add sprinkles and leave them to dry. Place them in pretty jars tied with ribbon for gifting.