Spaghetti alla Carbonara
Katie Parla’s Roman Kitchen
Servings: Serves 4 to 6
Author: Katie Parla
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 ounces guanciale, cut into approximately 1 x 1/2-inch strips
- sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated Pecorino Romano
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups rigatoni
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over low heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the guanciale. Cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the meat and rendered fat to cool in the pan.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil over high heat. Salt the water. When the salt has dissolved, add the pasta, and cook until al dente.
- Bring another large pot of water to a simmer over low heat. In a large stainless-steel bowl, beat together the eggs, 1 cup of the Pecorino Romano, a pinch of pepper, and ¼ cup water. Place the egg mixture over the simmering unsalted water, taking care to avoid direct contact between the bowl and the water. Whisk the egg mixture continuously until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Add the guanciale, rendered fat and al dente pasta to the egg mixture, stirring to coat.
- Plate and sprinkle each portion with some of the remaining Pecorino Romano and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Buon Appetito!