Swirl Cookies with Raspberry, Pomegranate and Lemon Buttercream
A Taste of Ireland: Ballyknocken Cookery School
Author: Chef Catherine Fulvio
For the cookies:
• ¾ cup sugar
• 1 ½ sticks softened butter
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 egg
• 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
• 2 to 3 tbsp of milk
• 4 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
1. Cream the sugar, butter, and vanilla extract with a wooden spoon until light and creamy. Mix in the egg.
2. Carefully fold in the flour and enough milk to form a soft cookie dough. Divide the dough into 2 and mix the cocoa powder into one half of the biscuit dough.
3. Wrap the dough separately in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out the two rectangle pieces in a 10-inch x 8-inch shape of dough separately on a floured surface to a similar shape.
5. Place the cocoa piece of dough on top of the vanilla one.
6. Roll the dough firmly into a Swiss roll shape. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
8. Using a knife, slice down ½ inch discs, place these on the lined tray and bake for 16 minutes until very lightly golden and cooked.
9. Allow to cool on the parchment for 10 minutes and then transfer onto a cooling rack before sandwiching together.
For the filling/assembly:
• 1 stick softened butter
• 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (plus more to dust)
• 1 lemon, juice and zest
• ¾ cup raspberries
• 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
1. To prepare the filling, place the butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and zest into a mixer and whisk until light and fluffy.
2. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe 3 rosettes onto half the biscuits, place raspberries in between, sprinkle over some pomegranate seeds, place the plain cookies on top, and sandwich together lightly. Dust the tops with icing sugar.