Mary’s Classic Soda Bread
Makes 1 round loaf
- 8 oz plain flour
- 8 oz wholemeal (whole wheat) flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp molasses or treacle
- 1½ oz butter, melted (about 2 tbsp), plus extra to brush
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 13½ fl oz buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/390°F/ fan 350°F/gas 6. Brush a 30fl oz Pyrex bowl with melted butter.
- Place the flours and salt into a large bowl. Sift in the baking soda and mix well. Add in the molasses, melted butter, and egg and pour in most of the buttermilk. Mix to form a soft dough adding in more buttermilk as needed. Transfer into the prepared Pyrex bowl.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. To check that the loaf is cooked, tap the base – it should sound hollow.
- Transfer to a cooling rack. If you want a soft crust, cover with a damp tea towel.